Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

So young

'Cancan' was a pretty dumb movie, but featured a great cast.  Watched it last night and I think the star who stole the movie was the beautiful and talented Juliet Prowse.  Man could she hoof it.  And she had the original full lips, but pre-collagen.  Could have given Mick Jagger and Angelina Jolie a run for their money.  How many women to we see today with botched lip jobs.  Awful.  Googled Prowse because I had a feeling she had died young. 

She had. She died in 1996 at the age of 59.  Born in Bombay and raised in South Africa, she had that very English/Colonial sophisticated mien which set her apart from the usual Hollywood tarts.  Louis Jourdan, also the movie, was an absolutely gorgeous man and is still alive and at 92, married to the same woman he had wed in 1948.  Now, that's amazing.   Never been a huge fan of Shirley MacLaine.  To me, she overacts -- still doing it on Downton Abbey.  Couldn't stand Frank Sinatra and didn't really like that old letch Maurice Chevalier.

But Juliet Prowse at 23 in that role?  Fabulous.    

2 comments:

  1. Maurice Chevalier - one of the most delightful, kind,
    gentleman I had ever met at 18 bicycling through Europe. My best friend from St. Catharines and I and Jill Rogers of Vancouver and Jill Kilgour from Winnipeg
    went on same tour. We stopped for a week in Paris and I said "Lets go to Maxims" - they said are you nuts,
    yes said I. So off we went - all traffic was cut off because of a film being shot there. So I got out of the cab and said"lets go girls" I'm not missing this. All of a sudden I spotted this elder gentleman. I said Sir could you tell me what movie is being shot here. He turned around and said "are you an extra"? It was Maurice himself. A complete gentleman - and yes Nancy and I got a job as an extra - the movie GIGI. Judge not and thou shall not be judged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing happened to me in St. John's, Nfld. Kiefer Sutherland and Kyra Sedgwick were filming a movie in the Hotel Newfoundland when I arrived. All the lights were blazing and the cameras were rolling in the lobby. "All for me?" I said. Seriously, I asked the director how I could get to be an extra. "Just walk through the scene and don't look at the camera." So I did -- much to the horror of the colleague I was travelling with. Never saw the movie, do don't know if I was in it. You gotta have nerve at times!

    ReplyDelete