Search This Blog

Sunday, May 3, 2015

That's what happens

"Of course you don't pay for anything on your birthday," said Nolan, our waiter the other evening when he brought the bill.  "Nancy is here", he had told the bartender and another waiter when we arrived and both had left their posts for a time and come over to chat.....and chat.....and chat.  I am thrilled that young people find us "chattable", but I wonder why?

Is it because no one -- either their age or ours -- tells it "like it is"?  Is it because the life experiences of their peers are so limited they have nothing to say?  Is it because so many other patrons are just plain rude and ignore wait staff?  We never do.  We talk to them and ask them all about themselves and we all know how people love to talk about themselves.  Nolan?  He's studying medicine and has already agreed to take me as a geriatric patient when the time comes.  Joel?  He's off to backpack through Asia.  Brittany?  She's studying to be a speech therapist.  All extremely bright kids and very charming. 

So it was on Friday evening when B and I went out to celebrate my birthday.  But the biggest gift was hearing from all four of my kids and grandkids.  That's priceless.  For everything else, there's mastercard.  No, seriously, I am very blessed.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment