Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2015

Last time I checked.....

....December 25th was Christmas.  It wasn't "Happy Holidays", it wasn't "Season's Greetings".  It was Christmas.  I posted something about wishing people a "Merry Christmas" and a Jewish "friend" on facebook posted back, "Not going to happen," she wrote.  "Today is Hanukkah."  (Actually, she spelt it incorrectly, which is quite amusing.) 

Really?  If she knew what she was talking about, she would know that many days are Hanukkah.  If you research it, you will find that Hanukkah is a relatively minor Jewish feast, elevated to larger importance to allow Jews to join in the celebration around this time of year.  It is marked on numerous occasions in late November and December, but it does not have nearly the relevance for Jews that Christmas has for Christians.  Just a fact, folks.  Unfortunately, Christians have been relegated to the back of the bus when it comes to December 25th.  Frankly, I'm sick to death of it and I take every opportunity to reclaim this feast.   

And that facebook "friend"?  Just unfriended her.  Can we not have one day people!?

Speaking of facebook, my American "friends" are blissfully ignoring the recent massacre in California.  How can they?  This was the 535th mass shooting there in the past year and people ignore it?!  I guess this is the new and current normal south of the parallel. 

Sad.      

3 comments:

  1. Jesus is the Reason for the Season is a great pin - and idea. thus the reason I prefer to celebrate Christmas in Italy where JESUS is the ONLY reason. they do not put out lights on trees or stores until after Dec. 12th. They do not give bought gifts for Christmas - everything must be made. Cookies, cakes, knitted mittens hats, socks, whatever. They give store bought goods for New Years. so civilized. The Boys and I have spent two Christmases in Rome and loved it. Very quite until after midnight Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should have become an Italian citizen and moved there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because |I appreciate and love my old friends of 40yrs in Italy does not mean I should become an Italian Citizen!!
    Does that mean all seniors who go to Florida for the Winter or the islands should become - Mexican, or American Citizens. I am 5 generations Irish Canadian and love this Country more than words can say. However, we can always learn something from the older Country's.
    The day I stop learning something new will be the day I am dead.!!!

    ReplyDelete