Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2016

Christmas fashion for the duped

I see it when I wander into shops such as Tiffany's here in Calgary.  Certain cultures simply MUST have something from Tiffany's -- regardless of the price tag.  It's ludicrous because in most cases you need a magnifying glass to see the paltry stone.  And the prices on these items!  Scandalous. I am thinking, for example, of the Japanese and newly-minted Eastern European cultures when it comes to status symbols such as watches, jewellery, clothes and cars.  I think it's just dumb. 

Flipping through the Globe and Mail today, I saw a full-page ad for a Chanel diamond necklace.  Modeled by the hyper-expensive Keira Knightly, it was absolutely nothing to write home about, but probably more expensive than your average BMW.  The ad neglected to mention price -- probably upwards of $30,000 -- because as the old saw goes, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Two years ago, while schlepping through Shopper's, I happened upon their new line of jewellery and bought a rhinestone necklace for about $100.  In fact, most of the jewellery I wear is costume, by means of which I think you get a far bigger bang for the buck.  I feel sorry for women who wear nothing but little, teensy pendants and studs because their cheezy husbands bought them under duress for an anniversary, or something -- husbands upon whom they have doted for decades.  Forget that, ladies.  Grab something with a little pizzaz! 


Here's what I mean about getting ripped off:
 
The Chanel variety

 
The Shopper's version
 
You be the judge.

 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment