Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2016

The demographics of the event

Watching coverage of Remembrance Day services on both the 'Mother Corp' and CTV, I noticed something disturbing:  ninety-five percent of Canadians in the crowds were not people-of-colour.  They were overwhelmingly white. 

That bothers me. 

Why is that?  Because it is so "un-Canadian".  And by the way, watched the BBC news a little while ago and the announcer (a BBC announcer, for Gawd's sake) was wearing her poppy on the wrong side of her lapel.  It has to be worn on the left, over the heart; she wore hers on the right so as not to interfere with her famous hairdo.  Sadly, she happened to be a young woman of colour.  See what I mean?  And don't dare label me "racist".  It's cultural and many immigrants have either clung to theirs, or haven't adopted even a little of the Canadian variety

The other Sunday, I listened as our parish priest said about the recent election in the Philippines, "Our country has just elected a new president."  Really?  "Our country?"  Last time I checked "our country" was Canada and we do not have a "president".  I almost stood up and said something, but coward that I can be at times, didn't.  However, I did send an email to Bishop Fred Henry about it and received a curt and dismissive reply.  He basically told me to get over myself and not worry about "slips of the tongue".  That, my friends, was no mere slip of the tongue.  It bespoke the wrong attitude entirely. 

Well, we have actually left that parish -- not that anyone cares.  And I guess now I know why the crowds honouring Remembrance Day were primarily Caucasian. 

Sad commentary on how Canada has let itself unravel. 



     

No comments:

Post a Comment