Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Not wishing to speak ill of the dead....

.....I will tell you what I think of Gord Downie's hysterical appearance at a native conference in Ottawa yesterday while the man is still alive. 

I thought it was disgraceful.  It was one of the most hubris-filled spectacles I have ever witnessed, replete with Gord sobbing and natives bestowing all measure of hats, ceremonial blankets and sacred feathers upon this self-centred rock star.  It was unctuous, grovelling, ingratiating and smug.  I know I will be vilified by the hoards of fans of the Great God Gord, but seriously.  The guy has no clue of what he bewails.  Apparently, he will now devote the rest of his life to righting the wrongs of residential schools.  He and hundreds of others.   

Please.

He needs to do his homework on the finances.  In addition to the regular $8.5 billion given 1.2 million natives every year, the hapless and randomly-educated Trudeau has promised another $8.5 billion, making the annual total $17 billion.  That's 17 hundred million dollars.  That's not a hundred million.  It's 17 hundred million!  My calculator won't even give me that broken down per native, so it must be incalculable.

As a former journalist, who was rapped on the knuckles by my diligent editors if I did not check facts and numbers religiously, I decry today's lazy bunch who can't get the figures right even when they have the google we didn't. 

Gord's net worth is $4 million.  How much of that do you think he will pour into his cause?  Yeah, I thought so.
This is what I mean

Trudeau waiting to bestow more money
 

  

    



2 comments:

  1. Had to look up "unctuous: excessively or ingratiatingly flattering; oily; having a greasy or soapy feel". Seems to be a very suitable adjective! ... Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thesaurus is one of my best friends. I also love reading dictionaries.

      Delete