Search This Blog

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Smart guy

"I am part of the problem," wrote film director Morgan Spurlock in a blog post the other day.  The Globe and Mail carried some of it and either this guy is very smart, very crafty or both.  Apparently, the director of 'Super Size Me' was, to say the least, very naughty with women during what he said had been a long history of sexual misconduct against classmates, co-workers and two wives.  So, he decided to come clean before anyone outed him. 

"As I sit around watching hero after hero, man after man, fall at the realization of their past indiscretions, I don't sit by and wonder who will be next?  I wonder when they will come for me?" he wrote.  I can't blindly act as though I didn't somehow play a part in this.  Over my life, there have been many instances that parallel what we see every day in the news," he confessed. 

He recounts one instance in college where he coerced a co-ed to have sex, even though she said no.  When she began to cry, he stopped, believing she was OK.  "She believe she had been raped," he writes.  In another, he paid off a female assistant he had called "hot pants" and "sex pants" because, "I paid for peace of mind.  I paid for her silence and co-operation, but most of all, I paid so I could remain who I was."

Reaction was swift and varied.  Some thought him brave, others honest, but many didn't feel he deserved any praise.  "Morgan Spurlock is not brave, he's trying to get ahead of the story and give you a reason, so when you hear about how garbage he is, you think of the reason," comedian Peter Coffin wrote on Twitter.  "Opportunistic," was how someone described him.  Someone else said, "He's still bad and I want him to go away."

I still think it was a craftier move than waiting for the myriad of shoes to drop and then denying everything.  That never works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment