Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2019

Phil wants to talk to you

That's what my old friend JR said when I called him this evening.  I have known JR since he dated and married my late cousin in the sixties.  Every now and then I call him and we re-connect as if no time had passed.  This time, when I called, Phil happened to be over for dinner, so he got on the phone.  Haven't talked to him for years, but we chatted like we were still dating.

Fabulous.

Phil was my boyfriend when we were at Lisgar in grades 11 and 12.  A scratch golfer, he said, "I don't want to talk about Tiger, when I asked him what he thought about the Masters, I want to know what you're up to."  I was sixteen and seventeen when we dated so innocently, but he's still the great guy I knew then.  And funny!  Still.

Isn't it marvelous when you haven't talked to someone in 50 years and you pick up exactly where you had left off.  We reminisced about our dates and the dances we had gone to, the double dates we had had with Mike and John and their dates.  Actually, all Phil and I used to do was a little necking at his house when his parents were out.  This evening, I talked to JR for an hour and Phil for an hour.  Wonder what their wives thought of my interrupting their dinner!? 

As my runway gets shorter, I have decided that when I think of an old friend, I am going to pick up the phone instead of just thinking of them.  It seems they welcome the call.  In fact, couldn't get John off the phone!

I am blessed to have my old friends at the other end of the line.      

No comments:

Post a Comment