Search This Blog

Monday, July 15, 2019

Other than the hypothermia....

....this year's Lake Windermere Open Water Swim was perfect!  My sixth, I did worse than any other year since I started in 2013 and only figured out why when my fire fighter son-in-law helpfully treated me for hypothermia at the finish.  Until then, I had no clue what had gone so badly wrong?!

The swim this year was three weeks earlier than every other, which apparently had a huge impact on the water temperature.  Half way to the 1K buoy, I could feel neither my hands and arms, nor feet and legs.  I was swimming on auto-pilot, trying not to think about how cold I was.  I literally crawled out of the water and stumbled across the timer -- to great cheers, mind you because I was the oldest.  As usual.  Son-in-law saw my uncontrollable shaking and quickly realized I was in trouble.  He and B helped me to the car and turned on the heat full blast. 

A very sweet woman and her little girl stayed with me the whole swim in their kayak because they too could see I was struggling in the cold water.  Lake Windermere, after all, is not really a lake.  It is part of the mighty Columbia River.  No wonder everyone else always wears a wet suit!  I usually do the 2K swim in just over an hour, 1:05-ish.  This year?  1:38!  Yes, I was slow, but I would not give up.  Here are a few souvenirs:
Just before the start, when I hadn't realized how cold the water was.  Note the wet suit on the other woman.  (I always wear a Swim Buddy, just in case.  Didn't need it, thankfully.

Daughter and me before her Olympic Distance triathlon.  She won, by the way.  I didn't!

The grands did a Kids' Tri.  Reed came second, Hilary third.  Chips off the old block, as they say.
Family dinner the night before.
Enjoying myself the night before.  No clue about what was to come!
Every year, a pair of Osprey Raptors nest atop a hydro pole in Invermere.  Fascinating.
The Three Sisters Mountain range in Canmore.

Daughter on the right collecting her first prize medal.  The woman on the left is someone I swim with every day.  Was surprised to see her there!






 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment