Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2020

Most Canadians are ignorant.....

 .....about our constitution.  I reacted to a letter in 'The Herald' the other day about some guy saying we don't need the Queen and we should dump the Monarchy.  Really?!  How do you suppose we do that?!  Here's what I wrote, published today:


Since it's hard to read, here it is:

"Dear Editor,

It’s not simply a matter of firing the Queen as Head of State.  To do so would require a complete overhaul of the Canadian Constitution Act accompanied by complicated and interminable federal/provincial negotiations.  These would have to result in the agreement of all provinces and territories at the same time and even then, the provinces and territories would have another three years in which to change their minds.  That’s the law.

"The last time the constitution was opened up, it was simply to patriate it from Britain.  Those of us who were around then remember the exercise was fraught because opening the constitution for one thing meant opening it up for everything and anything else.  That’s when the pandora’s box bursts, with premiers making much mischief to please their electorates and fatten their coffers. 

 "So, no the Queen will remain as Head of State because to change anything would simply be too complicated.

"Nancy Marley-Clarke"

_________________________

My letters always go in "as is", which is why so many are published 'cause it's less work for the editorial page editor.  When it comes to all things "constitutional", I get all my material from B because he was one of the people who held the pen on The Constitution Act of 1982.  Why Canadians are not taught this subject is a mystery to me?!  What I had forgotten to include in the letter was the fact that after the provinces agree, two-thirds of all Canadians would have to vote in favour.  So, as you can plainly see, it will never happen.

I know many of my friends have as strong opinions as I, but none write letters to the editor.  Why is that?  It doesn't take courage to put your beliefs and thoughts out there.  I wish other like-minded friends would do it.   




No comments:

Post a Comment