Search This Blog

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Well, it happened

'The Globe and Mail' sent me an email telling me my Mothers' Day essay had been scrapped.  I knew it was coming and, of course, I am disappointed, but not surprised.

After going back and forth with the 'first person' editor, editing, scheduling and signing all sorts of legal disclaimers, it was eventually kiboshed by senior editors, Catherine Dawson March, who had loved it, told me.  Why?  I bet those "senior" editors googled me and happened upon my blog.  That would have done it.  I am sure the delicate dispositions at 'The Globe' could not abide my candor -- although the essay I had submitted was very tame and "nice"; it was simply about being adopted and having two mothers.  (I will post it later.) 

Come to think of it, I was seated at a dinner a while ago beside the publisher, Philip Crawley, who I am sure was captivated by my witty bon mots -- another probable blot on my copy book, I would wager.

So, my friends, I still have not achieved a biggie on my bucket list.  But having worked in a publishing house with editors, I know how it all works.  Here's what she wrote:

"Nancy, after a meeting with my editors, I’ve been asked to hold off on running mothers-day themed content for a while, as they feel it echoes too closely the pieces already scheduled (already scheduled?  Mine was already scheduled, so this is BS).  And so, I will need to put your piece aside for consideration at a later date.  But I urge you to seek publication elsewhere for this story – Mother’s Day is still a week away, and you might as well strike while the subject is hot. I wish you luck,

"My apologies for the news, but when senior editors step in, I need to follow their guidance.  Sincerely, Catherine"

Here's my reply:

"Thank you for this.  To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.  Going from my piece was to kick off Mother’s Day, to maybe later, to it’s been cancelled altogether was a big let-down.  But, having worked at Maclean-Hunter as a journalist in the late sixties and early seventies (with colleagues like Maggie Wente and Christie Blatchford), I do understand that senior editors make the final decisions.

"My piece was trying to pay tribute to the unsung heroines of Mother’s Day, those who don’t abort their children, but carry them to term at great sacrifice to give them life.  I will be anxious to see if the Mother’s Day essays pay tribute to mothers who don’t fit the mold, so to speak, or if they are the usual essays we see for that celebration.

"I am pleased that you personally thought it worthy of publication. 

"By the way, I have submitted other essays and will continue to do so. 

"Regards, Nancy Marley-Clarke"

Will I keep trying?  Probably not, but I will continue my blog because, as I have said, writers have to write and my blog is really for me and other like-minded souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment