Search This Blog

Thursday, May 18, 2023

I love Montreal....

....because it's not Calgary.  As much as I hate giving money to Quebec, because Alberta's transfer payments are the reason they have a balanced budget, I do love Montreal.  Both B and my father grew up there and as a kid, I used to visit with my family often.  It's a great town.

We stayed at The Sofitel.  Not quite up to what it was when it first opened, but still a great spot.  Not a lot of people I bored knew that the Van Horne mansion had been bulldozed secretly in the middle of the night to clear the land on Sherbrooke to build it.  William Cornelius Van Horne, below, was the builder of the trans Canada CPR railroad and his magnificent home was torn down for this hotel.  Thank you Jean Drapeau for this shameful slight of hand.  

A highlight of my visit was meeting a new-found nephew, son of one of my half-sisters.  Studying for his PhD at McGill, he is a delightful young man and we spent a lovely two hours talking about everything and anything.  Thank you '23 and Me'.  

Montreal smoked meat is often featured on Alberta menus, but it bears no resemblance to the real thing.  Before leaving, I strapped in and enjoyed the authentic version.  So delicious:

Breakfast?  Delicious:

Back in Cochrane.  Sigh............





 

No comments:

Post a Comment