Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Memories of Gordon Lightfoot

When he first started out, Lightfoot used to appear on 'Country Hoedown', a hokey show that ran from 1956 to 1965.  (In fact, isn't that Gord, second from right?).  Anyway, I loved the segments that included the very young Lightfoot, who sang early songs he had written.  You kind'a knew he'd be famous.

During the sixties and seventies, Gordon's star kept rising, but he never strayed from his home base of Toronto, where he lived in Rosedale -- a neighbourhood I also lived in when I moved there in 1968.  Back then, I used to frequent the folk-club district of Yorkville, where all kinds of soon-to-be famous performers thronged -- like Bob Dylan, Ian and Sylvia, Bruce Cockburn, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee and so many others .  Venues back then were very accessible and affordable and for a time, I dated the owner of one of the more renowned clubs, which meant I got in free to everything.  Shameless, I know, but why not!

Before I met B, he also lived in Rosedale and tells of a walk he took around his neighbourhood when he encountered Gordon sitting on his porch down the street, playing his guitar.  Very friendly, Gordon said hello and waved B over, whereupon they had a great visit and chat.  

Before all this, my first encounter with Gordon Lightfoot had occurred when I was a waitress at 'Le Hibou' coffee house on Sussex in Ottawa in about 1967-ish while I was studying at Carleton.  He was performing there and we had a few great chats.  I was actually hoping he would come on to me, but he didn't.  He was very polite.

Not long after, one of my good friends from Carleton met him at a concert and was invited backstage.  One thing led to another and this friend breathlessly told us later that Gordon had popped her cherry!  We were so envious and thrilled!  Can you imagine, going through your whole life knowing and remembering that Gordon Lightfoot had popped your cherry!  What a big deal and we all basked in the reflected glory of it all.

(When I think of the guy who popped mine, it pales.)

All in all, Gordon Lightfoot was a genius whose music was covered by so many great artists over so many years.  I am proud to say I (sort of) knew him and even prouder that he was a loyal Canadian.  

May he Rest in Peace.  


No comments:

Post a Comment