Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Cultural appropriation

Cultural appropriation is an outrage to Indigenous people in Canada.  They rave and write about it everywhere when white people adopt anything "native" in word, deed or song.  Natives are allowed, indulged and encouraged in their objections to this unspeakable practice when whites do it.    

But how about when cultural appropriation goes the other way?  I was flabbergasted when I learned that the American classic 'Star Wars' movie was to be translated into Ojibwe.

Yep, you read that right:  Ojibwe!  

Could anyone please tell me what 'Star Wars' has to do with native, Ojibwe culture and history?

You can't because it doesn't.

Will anyone -- other than me -- point that out?  Rhetorical.  Why Ojibwe?  Apparently because that is the predominant language of Indigenous people in Canada, spoken by more than 300,000 people in Manitoba, Ontario and also Minnesota.  And who's behind this insanity?  Patricia Ningewance of the Lac Seul First Nation.

Ningewance

This has been backed by the Dakota Tribal Council and the University of Manitoba.  I looked Ningewance up and she is "an artist".

It's all so nonsensical.  Society has been rent asunder by wokeness and I am sick of it.

p.s.  I wear a jacket I bought a few years ago in Ottawa's Chinatown often.  Maybe I have committed cultural appropriation.  The horror!



  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment