Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Weird topic

Still not taken seriously

Not sure how we got started talking about it, but a young server at the local 'Joey's' in Calgary told me about how she had been raped.  Maybe I have the look of a kindly grandmother, but she told me that the worst decision she had made was going to the police.

What did the police do?  They had to charge him, but didn't really take her too seriously in the process.  After an entire year of living with debilitating anxiety, the case was finally heard.  The outcome?  The judge dismissed it because she had been at a party and had admitted having had a few drinks.

So, the rapist walked with a smirk on his face.  "The judge made it seem it was all my fault, that I had asked for it," she said.  Having had something similar happen to me when I was 20, 56 years ago, I totally related.  So, with all the "#metoo" clamour nothing has changed.  The girl is always at fault and the perpetrator gets away with it.

Can you believe it?  Yes, I'm sure you can and it's a sad, sad state of affairs that a lovely young woman like that was basically kicked to the male-dominated, judicial curb.  

Mothers keep protecting your daughters.


     


No comments:

Post a Comment