Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Shoes in The Lone Star State

Blogging today from Houston. We are here for the baptism tomorrow of our grandaughter, Caitlin Elizabeth Leslie. By happy coincidence, it is also my birthday. But nevermind all that, what I want to talk about is the fabulous shopping in the US. Seriously, for a shoe addict such as I there is nothing that compares with DSW: Discount Shoe Warehouse. It is a paradise of rows and rows of gorgeous shoes by top designers at ridiculously low prices. I never leave without a minimum of least three pairs (usually it's five) and today was no exception. People -- mostly women -- wander casually amidst such dazzling beauty seeming to take this feast completely for granted. I mean, how can they?

Before we left my step-daughter collected all her coupons -- some expired and some that hadn't started yet. I said, "We can't use these, some expired in 2008." Let's go, she said. Got to the cash and they took every coupon, so it cost even less. My step-son, Scott, actually got a pair for free. After we walked out, I felt like that Ikea ad, where the woman runs out yelling, "Start the car, start the car!" The manager even popped her head out and said, "You guys did great today!". Try that in Ottawa. Forget it.

In Ottawa, we are lucky if we happen upon one or two wearable heels and when we do, they are way too expensive. And please, who would ever wear anything from Armstrong and Richardson or any other sensible, comfy-shoe salon. And the clothes! Wander into TJ Max, Marshall's or the Burlington Coat Factory and you have miles of designer stuff for next to nothing. I bought a fabulous hat be-decked with flowers and a veil for $19. Yes friends, Ottawa remains the town that style forgot.

2 comments:

  1. Have a great birthday in California, Nancy. and btw, Florida has fantastic shopping as well. I hesitate to admit that I do virtually all my shopping in the three months I'm in the bargain friendly U S of A.
    TJ Max rules the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Faye, we are in Houston, Texas, but the shopping is just the same, fabulous! See you soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete