Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

If he can take apart a combine machine.........

........he can certainly manage a dimmer switch. That's the kind of fabulous people one meets here. Attended a Knights of Columbus Fourth Degree installation ceremony and reception last evening and met some facinating people -- like the chap who explained in detail how he had completely dismantled a combine the other day (or was it a harvester?) and put it back together. This in response to my pitiful query about where I could find a handyman to put in a few dimmer switches and hang a chandelier.

He gabbed at length and with authority about..."harvester chains....chaffers...rotary concaves...adjustable sieves...grapples...hitchers...augers...loaders...buckets....bale spears -- and my favourite the combine snout". Now here was a very talented and facinating man. What a delightful holiday from the boring political banter and mannered cultural repartee of the average Ottawa party. I was riveted and frankly flattered that he assumed I could keep up with his precise technical expertise. Of course I couldn't keep up, but I nodded enthusiastically and hoped he would have the belevolence to lend us a hand.

His wife was as charming, with a beautiful, friendly smile and enough information about various parishes and Calgary in general to compete with a guide book. I think I am going to love Calgary!

No comments:

Post a Comment