Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Frivilous litigation and the Charter

Do you think the courts would be less clogged with frivilous cases if they changed the name of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to the Charter of Rights and Responsibilities? As I read about yet another disgruntled citizen's silly challenge it hit me: it's the wording of the Charter that triggers the cases.

Everyone with a personal bone to pick hires a lawyer and mounts a Charter challenge. "It's my right to do so and so...It's my right to have the freedom to....whatever." The greater societal good has been shoved blithely and merrily aside in favour of personal wish lists and inconsequential demands.

With rights in Canada go civic and social responsibilities. That's one thing I learned working for the tax department. It is every Canadian's responsibility to pay taxes. I know I yammer on, but taxes make the world go 'round. A couple of things I don't yammer enough about are volunteering and charity -- two other solid lynchpins of Canadian society.

Forget your "rights" for a moment and focus on a few responsibilities at this wondrous time, as we await the birth of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment