Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Lover Come Back

Watching the fabulous Doris Day in this movie makes me wonder why I was not an adult in the '60's. There she is, false eyelashes, champagne hair, furs, sequins, high heels, ridiculous jewellery and a pound of makeup -- absolutely gorgeous! Just googled her and she was 37 when she and Rock made this picture.

It's amusing to watch Rock, who we now know was gay, trying relentlessly to get her into bed. It's also ridiculous she was still playing the innocent "ingenue" at 37. As Oscar Levant once famously quipped, "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin." But the woman ruthlessly maintained a virtuous and unsullied image. I read somewhere that she insisted the camera lens be vaselined for all her close-ups so her wrinkles would disappear. And they do. Every time her face is framed, I strain to see it properly. I can't.

Had my own ridiculous moment with false eyelashes today. Sipping a martini at The Paliser Hotel for a New Year's Day lunch, I could feel one of them peeling. Drat. I had followed -- to the letter -- the instructions a cute waitress had painstakingly written out for me: put a line of glue on your hand, wait for it to get gooey, run the lash over it and simply press it onto your lid. Except the right one didn't quite stick and there it was, lifting at lunch. Nothing says "old bag" like a scruffy eyelash.

Just a word about the buffet luncheon crowd. Rarely have I seen so many overweight teenaged girls in too-tight, too-short outfits doubling back for yet another dessert...or three. What hideous shape will they take when they are my age?!

As to eyelashes, in honour of Ms. Day, I intend to keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment