Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2014

Chance encounters

"Why would anyone leave the house wearing an ugly T-shirt like that?" I asked the young man beside me.  He almost spit out his lunch laughing.  I was referring to his companion, sitting on the other side of him at the bar into which I had popped in for lunch yesterday.  Heck, I had to put on makeup to go to Mass, so I figured I'd go out for a little lunch.  "It was laundry day and this was all I could find," he explained.  "Next laundry day, find something nicer," I said, laughing. 

"Well, well, my favourite customer," the young man had said as he and his friend sat down next to me at a local watering hole.  I was very surprised because he is a server at The Keg around the corner, which is where B and I met him, yet here he was frequenting the competitor.  This young man is adorable and working towards a medical degree.  He wants to be a pediatrician, but has promised to allow me to be his one and only geriatric patient, when the time comes.

Calgary was abuzz yesterday with the Western final Stampeders and Eskimos football game unfolding at McMahon Stadium.  Calgary won and will now play the Hamilton Tiger Cats in the Grey Cup in Vancouver this weekend.  Having been raised in Ottawa, I hated Hamilton and will be cheering for Calgary, my new hometown.

When my two companions left, a complete stranger walked up to me and said:  "Excuse me, but I just had to tell you that those two young men said you were the coolest woman they know."  Really??!!  That's kinda' sad, but I think it's because I don't filter much when I express my opinions. 

This luxury comes with experience --  one of the benefits that accompanies aging.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment