Search This Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Still there

She died in 2001, but I still wear her winter coat.  It's -30 here (Celsius, for my American readers) and obviously freezing, so I put on my mother's wonderful coat.  She was decidedly and demonstratively unaffectionate, nevertheless it feels as if she still hugs me. 

Same way I feel when I don her flannelette nightgowns.  Although very conservative, unlike I, my mother bought a very fashionable coat with a fleece lining and faux-fur trim on the sleeves and neck.  And it's warm as heck.  I also still sport her mink headband.  Imagine, my mother with a headband!  But I had one made and evidently she liked it, so had her own made.  When I wear her clothes, I still feel her so close to me.

Of course, Christmas brings us all back to our families -- good memories or bad.  Mine are all good and I am looking forward to trimming the tree alongside children and grandchildren with ancient decorations handed down over generations.  Who can ever throw out family tree ornaments?  Not I.
     
Guess we never get over our mothers and fathers. 

Good thing.   

3 comments:

  1. So very very happy for you. When my eldest son got married three years ago I sent them a year later all my
    Christmas Decorations from when my mother was alive.
    One ball said 1940!!! Also several jack bought in Murano Italy. Even all the Christmas Stockings. I spent two Christmases there and thought that would be the way for the rest of my life.!!!!!!! How positively ludicrous was I!!!! They are separated, she has changed all the locks and of course would never have the decency to offer to send me some of my decorations. Even the Christmas Crèche -tat my mother had at home when we were little is among all those old family treasures. Will I go out and replace them - you cannot replace family heritage..!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you can't replace family Christmas decorations. Every year Santa used to give each child an ornament in the stocking. These I passed on to each when they moved into their own places. I also gave each a crèche 'cause, after all, Jesus is the reason for the season. Grandson is now fascinated with the little music box church, which plays a squeaky 'Silent Night', I was given as a child. Almost makes me cry.

      Delete
  2. by the by, this was a great read. How lucky or fortunate were you to have your Mother until 2001 -
    Mine died when I was 30yrs young 1971.

    ReplyDelete