Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2016

No, they don't

"They don't care," said a dinner companion last evening.  He was referring to the Canada Revenue Agency, with which he was dealing, trying not to have to pay his taxes.  People who don't pay their taxes infuriate me.  I worked for the CRA for a number of years and know just how singularly vital that organization is in the running of Canada. 

From Nigeria, this gentleman had had the same plaint a year ago when we chatted at another function.  "Well, I'm a consultant and I don't pay my taxes regularly," he told me.  "Now I have a lot to pay." 

Pay them, I emphatically replied.  "How do you think Canada operates?" I asked.  "How do you think health care and roads and schools and the military run?  Not thanks to people like you who don't pay their fair share, but claim all the benefits this country rains down on them," I instructed.  And just because he was black did not deter me from my mission.  Others might have been afraid to tell him off, but it's not about race -- even though many play that card all the time in the face of an actual issue.  He assured me he would pay up, but probably left a tad too much in his own bank account, thus raising an audit flag on his CRA account.  Believe me, an audit flag is something no one ever wants to have waved at them.

"I haven't had any work for six months," he moaned, "but they don't care."  That's right, we don't care because we can't care.  "But, you can make an arrangement to pay over time," I explained, "why not do that?"  From his non-response, I am sure he isn't.

Sadly, it's really the mentality of so many immigrants and cultures which makes them averse to paying taxes.  In fact, avoiding or evading taxes is a mark of success with many people!  "You know," I added, "this is not Nigeria.  Nigeria is a corrupt state, but Canada doesn't operate like that."  "No, Nigeria is not corrupt," he actually had the gall to reply with his face hanging out.  "Yes it certainly is.  In fact 'The Economist' magazine regularly publishes a list of corrupt nations and Nigeria is always right up there," I told him.  Any fool who reads a newspaper knows how corrupt Nigeria is; you don't have to consult 'The Economist'. 

After that, he didn't talk to me.  I guess the facts overwhelmed him.  But I never miss a chance to hammer someone about paying their taxes and I hope other Canadians join me in my little crusade.   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment