Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Soggy diary notes

Sitting here in Calgary, waiting for summer to actually appear, I am enjoying the Olympics -- especially the swimming.  Yes, I mean it about the absent summer.  The weather sucks!  I have given up running out back to cover my potted plants.  I have been pummelled by hail so often my philosophy now is if they survive the almost daily storms they do; if they don't, they don't. 

I'm sick of it.  The forecast is always, "A high of 16, sunny periods and a late afternoon thunder/hail storm."  In this god-forsaken town we only have four months of summer as it is, but so far....nothing!  I think I have sat out on my back patio about five times!  It's depressing.  And to top it off, the never-ending rain has discouraged my cosmos to flower because they are so well-watered they don't have to.  Huge leaves, but not one effing flower!

But, back to the swimming.  I watch the swimmers with awe.  Being one myself, I know how hard it is to propel oneself through water and live to tell the tale.   I am alongside some very good swimmers every morning -- one was a member of the Canadian National Swim team and he actually talks to me?!  Another routinely does 4K every morning.  Another masters a butterfly that rivals anything I have seen from Brazil.  It's daunting and inspirational at the same time to be in the next lane.

Ah well, as I say to everyone who complains about nothing, it's not cancer.      

   

No comments:

Post a Comment