Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2016

Once in a lifetime

Having driven daughter to scores of meets in a number of disciplines over many years, I finally had the chance to enter the same race as she.  Hard to believe, but it happened this past weekend when we both did the Lake Windermere 2K Open Water Swim in Invermere, B.C.  Although she was merely doing it to get used to swimming in a wetsuit for a triathlon next weekend in a very cold lake, I was doing my fourth annual 2K in this event. 

It was a big deal for me and one in which I managed the best time of the four I have done since 2013.  Standing in the water for the mass start, I heard my daughter say, "Mum, where's your swim buddy?"  OMG!  After inflating it and making sure it was water-worthy, I had actually forgotten it on the beach.  A "swim buddy" is a bright orange, non-flotational device you tie around your waist so you can be seen by boats if they get too close.  It can also actually support you if you get tired -- or allow rescuers to find you if you drown, for example.  I have never had to use it, but because the pack and spotter boats get way ahead of me every year (everyone is 12, afterall), I find it reassuring just to know it's there.  Having been a lifeguard, my Red Cross, never-swim-alone brain always kicks in.  Thankfully, son-in-law gamely ran back, fetched it and we were off.

Ten years older than the next oldest swimmer, I found myself alone, as everyone raced out in front.  No worries, me and my swim buddy were having a grand time!  Half-way to the one-K point, I heard a voice coming from a swimmer returning back.  "Hi Mama," said daughter as she waved and swam by on her way to the finish line.  I laughed.  I still had a long way to go to get to the turn-around buoy and here she was, almost back!

But I was "in the zone" and didn't miss a stroke.  It was front crawl all the way and I didn't look up -- other than to be sure I was on track and heading in the right direction.  With the exception of one other guy, I was the only swimmer not wearing a wet suit.  Having cottaged in the glacial lakes of Quebec, I don't find Lake Windermere cold at all by comparison.  (Actually, it's not a lake, but part of the vast Columbia River.)

In the end, I beat a 36-year-old woman and was quite pleased!  Here are a few snaps of our lovely adventure:

Swim start with my beautiful daughter.
 
Done!
 

Invermere's flowers are legendary.
 
 
A hungry "neighbour" on the street.
 





              


 

No comments:

Post a Comment