Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Who bumps the Olympics?

The Tragically Hip, that's who.  For my international readers, I am sure you have no clue who The Hip is, but they are the quintessential Canadian band -- a wonderful, powerful group headed by Gord Downie, the Shakespeare of Canada.  For two and a half hours, all of Canada tuned into the live CBC broadcast of the last concert of this fabulous band. 

Why?  Because, Gord Downie has inoperable brain cancer and he was saying goodbye to his fans all across this perfect country.

Actually, I have never been a big fan of The Hip, but who could not watch this final cross-Canada concert?  And it was in Kingston, where the band started 28 years ago.  Kingston is close to my heart because this town is from where my kith and kin hail.  It is also where one of my children went to university for four years, so we went often.  I am of Irish and Mohawk extraction and I have visited the cemeteries of all my birth relatives interred there; I am one of the fortunate who found my birth family.

Tonight, there was the great Ron McLean, hosting The Hip's final concert on a huge screen on Copa Cabana Beach, 8,200 K's south of Kingston in Rio.  All the Canadian athletes were there because every Canadian is tuned into The Hip.  It's automatic. Did I get emotional?  You bet.  I was up dancing and crying as Gord said his final goodbye after five encores. 

As I say, there is no country like Canada.         

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, well said. Agree
    on all counts. thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete