Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2016

Amazing!

She swims ten K in only an hour longer than I take to swim two!  She did it in 1:56 and it would have taken me almost five hours!  Granted, she's 47 years younger, but I loved watching the women's open-water swim in Rio this morning because I know how hard it is to keep up any pace up when the finish buoy seems so far off. 

The thing that amazed me most was that no one had to stop to clear their goggles?!  That's the sort of detail that I focus on because I have to do that often.  Unless you get a perfect seal before you start, your goggles will fog.  And once they start, they don't stop.  Also loving the diving and waterpolo, having attended many games of the latter discipline for a number of years watching a family member compete.  Did I mention I was actually asked to join a women's waterpolo team here a few months ago?  One of the lifeguards where I swim invited me to join??!!  Almost did, until I found out how expensive this league was, due to the fact that they travel to meets here and in the US and have to cover costs.  Nevertheless, I was flattered.

Watching the men diving at the moment.  Trust me, they are the only male creatures who should be permitted to wear mini-speedos.  They look beautiful and must shave their entire bodies, as I haven't seen one body hair so far.  These gorgeous men are the antithesis of the hairy species who have the audacity wear them at the local pool where I swim.  Nothing screams "disgusting" like a middle-aged man in a speedo.  Yuck!  Frankly, I think it should be an indictable offence to parade in public in a scant piece of nylon fabric if you aren't in perfect shape.   

And speaking of outfits, although they are in great shape, I find it hard to take beach volleyball seriously, thanks to the bikinis.  If they wore the same outfits as the men, that would work.  But I still prefer the wet suits of the marathon swimmers.   



  



No comments:

Post a Comment