Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Still an android

"I have never been without a phone," exclaimed the middle-aged guy next to me being served in the Koodo store the other day.  "But I just got laid off and they took my company phone away."  That's the state of play here in Alberta, thanks to the ignorance of the anti-pipeline fools and the low price of oil.  "Several of our neighbours just lost their jobs," said another friend. 

It's a very scary epidemic here in Calgary.  At the Y, where I swim, old faces have disappeared and new ones have popped up.  "The new people used to swim downtown, but they lost their jobs and now swim here, closer to where they live," explained one of the lifeguards.  Jeez.  We are so lucky to have ended our careers with defined pension plans!

But back to Koodo.  I was getting a new cellphone, my old, original, duct-taped Blackberry having finally given up the ghost.  Like Obama, I hated to part with it because it was so easy to use.  And I loved the keyboard!  To use the keyboard on this thing, you have to use a finger, not a nail, and you have to switch every which way to hit a capital or an apostrophe.  With my old phone, it was all right there.  All I wanted was a small, cheap, easy-to-use cell so that's what I got.  Who needs a HUGE tablet?!  Not me.  But I had to stick with android because otherwise, my data and photos would not have been transferable.  So, I got an "LG" phone, whatever that is?  Still getting used to it, but it's not a patch on my Blackberry.  Whatever happened to that company??  More Steve Jobs destruction. 

Too bad.
_______________________________________

For the life of me, I can't figure out why I cannot get an essay published in The Globe and Mail?  I have submitted about five which I thought were pretty good, but no, nothing.  I consider myself a decent writer, so the only thing I can think of is that they google me, read a few of my blogs and decide I am far too radical and "out there" to publish.  It may also be because I purposely tone myself down, hoping to get published.  Maybe toning down doesn't suit my writing personality?  At any rate, I will continue to try because when I read what they publish by other amateurs, I know I am at least as good.       

No comments:

Post a Comment