Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2016

One length

"See that woman?" said one of my swim buddies this morning, as we halted at the end of a lane.  "She's been swimming here for ten years and hasn't improved one iota.  Still fights with the water as if she hates it."  He was right, but for some reason this woman always seemed to be just a tad faster than I, which or course, p-ssed me off. 

This guy -- by the way, the hottest 68-year-old ironman you have ever laid eyes on -- has become a lane friend, although we never get together clothed and out of the water.  That's how it is.  You become very friendly with the regulars -- even knowing intimately a great deal about their personal lives -- but you never socialize.  Today, he told me to hold my glide longer before taking the next stroke, "and don't kick so hard.  You'll be amazed at how much you will improve."  So I tried it and in one length I actually easily passed the woman in question -- to both her amazement and my own. 

"See," said my friend.  "I bet you felt as is you were going slower, but you were actually swimming faster."  He was completely right and I am now a much better and more efficient swimmer after just one practice length.  When he left I continued the new way and was dumbfounded by how much it improved my swimming and stoke efficiency.  The number of strokes it took for me to complete a lap decreased noticeably -- although not to the 10 or 12 he does one in.  But I'll get there.  Never too late to teach an old water rat new tricks. 

I have actually breached the "no socializing" rule by organizing a "Christmas in November" lunch for the regular women I swim with -- and like -- or see in the locker room.  Those I don't like aren't invited, of course, but this will be a motely group of women from 30 to 75 -- all of whom are a lot of fun and don't take themselves too seriously.  The lane snobs who fancy themselves uber triathletes will not be joining us.  To my amazement, we are now up to about 10, all of whom seem delighted to have been included.

And yes, the woman I now pass is included.       

No comments:

Post a Comment