Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Maybe I'm French?

...because I agree with Catherine Deneuve and her friends who have penned a letter saying the "#MeToo" movement has gone too far.  I also agree with Margaret Atwood, who recently wrote that women can actually be evil and odious -- just as can men.  Both also pointed out that women are quite capable of saying "no" to unwanted advances.

Of course we are.  And by the way, "rape" and "flirting" are not one and the same.

Margaret Wente's column in today's 'Globe and Mail' echoes these opinions and I agree with her.  We may be "old, privileged, white women", but we can hold our own anytime anywhere.  In fact, some of us cleverly work both sides of the street!  I know I did when I was a young writer at Maclean-Hunter in Toronto in the early seventies, where I took advantage of my publisher who had the "hots" for me.  I worked him hard to earn trips and assignments I coveted.  He even bought me clothes, for Gawd's sake!  And I didn't have to actually "put out", as the expression went; he simply lived in hope, G-d Rest the deluded man's soul.

The point is not all advances are unwanted.  How else can someone show interest in another without a little flirting or suggestive chatter?  Does the interested party have to send a business letter or make a formal appointment with his/her object of desire?  "Ahem, may I make an appointment to determine if you might be willing to go to dinner?"

Completely ridiculous.

Sex is biological and if two parties agree, then it's on.  Signals are sent and either welcomed or rejected and believe me, the one signalling will know his/her chances immediately. 

So, let's get a grip here.  Rape is a crime; flirting is not. 





 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment