Search This Blog

Friday, August 2, 2019

Hasn't happened yet

I have not picked up a magazine or newspaper and read an editorial not crying out for editing.  Just for fun, flipped through 'Avenue' today and here's what I found:
 


 
Not sure you can see what I red-penciled, but there were many unnecessary words.  Many, many.  Things such as, "diversity of all kinds."  Why do you need, "of all kinds"?  You don't, you're talking about "diversity" for Gawd's sake.  Or how about, "...Calgarians are very lucky indeed..."  You don't need, "very" and "indeed". 
 
Or, "One of their findings has been....."  You don't need, "of their", just "One finding is..."  The editorial begins with, "For ten years now....."  You don't need, "now".  It just gets worse and worse. 
 
I don't care what anyone says, an Ontario education in the fifties and sixties taught proper English and grammar.  My ruthless Maclean Hunter editor, the late Jean Portugal, also showed me how to write and where to cut.  May that great lady Rest in Peace.  (Elayne, Faye and Bob, are you with me?)    


No comments:

Post a Comment