Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2020

She's not....

 ...black enough for American voters.  That's what I think Kamala Harris' problem will be come election time.  Her mother was East Indian and her father Caribbean, so that won't count with Black Americans.  They are very clear about who counts as black and who doesn't.  Obama sort of had the same problem, but his wife was a real Black and came from "The hood" in Chicago, so that benefited him greatly.  I also think Trump will label her "too Canadian" because she spent her high school years in Montreal.  Rightly or wrongly, those will all be marks against the Biden/Harris ticket.  Remember, politics is a blood sport and Trump has taken it off the charts.  

Allan Fotheringham has died.  He was terrific.  When I returned to Ottawa, after a few years in Toronto, my first job was as speech writer for the late Jean-Pierre Goyer, when he was Minister of Supply and Services in Trudeau the Elder's cabinet.  I used to travel all over with him on a swanky government Challenger jet -- which I obviously loved doing, who wouldn't! -- and one trip I remember was to Vancouver, where Goyer was making a speech.  Don't remember where he was giving it, or what it was about, even though I had written it, but The Foth was covering it and asked me to set up a TV interview at the venue with the minister.

"Mr. Minister," he said.  "You're a smart man, so why are you so dumb?" asked Fotheringham.  He didn't use the word "dumb", but words to that effect.  To his credit, Goyer just laughed uproariously and the interview actually went well, considering how badly it could have gone with the formidable Foth asking the questions.  I loved those days of working at the top of the heap in Ottawa.  The perks were wonderful.

Also wanted to say a few predictable words about the missing 14-year-old native teenager who's disappeared with a 47-year-old creep somewhere in Cape Breton.  Of course, the parents are blaming the RCMP for not starting the search earlier.  Hello!  Your daughter was taken into foster care because you were judged unfit!  Who are you to be pointing fingers?!  As I have said, if any of my children had been placed in foster care because I was judged completely incompetent and incapable of parenting, I would be hiding in the basement, hanging my head in shame.  I certainly wouldn't be hitting the airwaves and blaming the people trying to find my delinquent daughter.  But that's always the case. 

And what about those Flames?  They pooched it again and let a three nothing score melt away, leaving them creamed and out of the running.  Gawd!  And what does coach Geoff Ward have to say?  ""Well, it's a learning experience.  We have to re-group."  A learning experience?!  Re-group?!  Your paycheque and payroll are gargantuan and all you can say is it's a learning experience and we have to re-group!  Hey, buddy, at the professional NHL level, lessons are over.  It's all business, nothing should have to be learned or re-grouped; everyone should already know what has to be done:  WIN.

And all the local columnists are saying the team should stick with Ward.  I'd fire his ass immediately.         

No comments:

Post a Comment