Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Money, as usual

Why it took me so long, I have no clue?  In all the coverage about the idiocy of Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer's threat to shut pipeline line 5, no one mentioned the key ingredient:  Money.

She knows full well she can't actually physically turn off the tap, because of the dire consequences for neighbouring states, as well as her own, so this was simply a bluff.  No, what I finally found, in some obscure article, is that she is going to confiscate Enbridge's profits as of her arbitrary deadline of May 12th.  Yep, she's going to simply dip into their accounts and rip off the profits.

In the meantime, everyone will be tied up in expensive legal knots fighting her moves.  As I mentioned, (See "I hope my Michigan friend enlightens me," May 6, 2021) Whitmer can't turn the taps off because of a small legality outlined in a 1977 treaty that prohibits state governors from interfering with national pipelines. 

So, nice move, Whitmer.  You're going to collect money until the courts decide and tell you you can't.  After that, you'll be fighting for years to keep it -- all the while spending it.  Oh, and by the way, my Michigan "friend" did reply to my questions about her Whitmer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment