Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Love me, love my dog

 No, that's not for me.  When an old and dear friend visited me at the cottage last month, she said she would be bringing another mutual friend -- didn't ask, just announced.  Fine, I thought, although this other friend and I had been estranged for many years.  

But when they arrived, out jumped friend # 2's dog!  "You brought your dog!" I exclaimed.  Why would anyone just bring along a dog without asking if it would be OK?  Frankly, it wasn't OK with me.  I would never just bring along a pet to someone's gathering.

"Nancy, you made her cry," said friend # 1.  WTF?!  "She thought because you used to have a dog, you'd be thrilled to meet hers."

No.  The reason I no longer have a dog is because I don't want a dog.  Otherwise I would have bought one when the first died.  When we first moved to Calgary, daughter asked if it would be OK if they brought their dog to our place.  I said no, it would not be OK.  She respected that and her dogs have never been inside our home.  

The admonishment from friend # 1 continued when we met for dinner in Ottawa before flying back.  "Look, quit criticizing me for objecting to her dog," I finally snapped.  Apparently, because friend # 2 had battled cancer, everyone was supposed to accept and accommodate anything and everything she did.  Sorry, call me harsh, but I am not like that.

So, I'll love you, but not your dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment