Search This Blog

Friday, April 14, 2023

Doesn't necessarily follow

When someone commits suicide, everyone blames it on mental health, that they're disturbed.  I don't agree.  I think some who commit suicide are perfectly normal, but have issues they can't face.  Doesn't mean they are crazy.

I have been thinking about this lately because our tennis club is asking members to donate to a mental health fund in memory of someone's daughter who committed suicide at age 19.  I knew the daughter and she was not mental, in my view, but the parents immediately jumped to a mental health issue because she committed suicide.  I don't think parents can bear the thought a child might have killed him/herself because they were deficient parents, so they blame it on mental health.  Is that their cop out?  Josie must have been crazy; we were not bad parents.  And they weren't!

Simply put, the parents weren't deficient, but the child couldn't cope. Josie just left this world.
I had a brother who committed suicide when he was 33 because he was gay and his lover of many years was getting married so the latter would not be cut out of his family's vast fortune.  But John was not crazy, not in the least.  And my parents were great parents.  No one was mental and no one was a bad parent.



I believe mental health and suicide should be separate issues.  Maybe some who commit suicide are crazy, but not all.  And not all people who are mentally ill commit suicide.  The two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.  In my brother's case, his suicide was perfectly logical:  He could not bear to live while the love of his life got married and left him.  I get that totally.  

Anyway, these thoughts have been circulating in my mind since we got the email about contributing.  I hesitate because of my brother.  He was not crazy.  Do I donate automatically suicide/mental health fund?  Maybe, in support of my brother, I won't.

  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment