Search This Blog

Sunday, April 30, 2023

I love Dim Sum


There is only one restaurant that serves Dim Sum in this area, not in Cochrane itself, but about 20 minutes away in NW Calgary.  We go about once a week, but last night I went on my own because B was busy and my solo dinner gave me an opportunity to observe my fellow diners.

The only Caucasian in the huge place, I began to realize just how different our culture is from the Chinese.  For one thing, while we get babysitters, the Chinese dine out en famille, with three generations enjoying each other's company.

For another, if we do have to take young children, we try to keep them quiet behaving themselves.  The Chinese celebrate their toddlers and babies, encouraging them to express themselves and join in on the conversation.  Lots of big, round tables in this place:


There was one family into which a lone Caucasian husband had married, but he had obviously been completely subsumed into his Chinese family, headed by the grandmother.  In our culture, grandparents are shipped off to a home the minute they become infirm.  Not so the Chinese.  They keep their elders with them, something I noticed when we toured that Lodge last week, where I saw neither a Chinese, nor an East Indian, resident.  Not one because they're living with their children and grandchildren.

Having been reared to never, ever chew with my mouth open and never, ever talk with my mouth full, it was jarring to see that the Chinese all chew vigourously and talk away with their mouths open, savouring every bite.  That I didn't enjoy, I must confess.  I also noticed that no one drank alcohol, except me.  My lone glass of wine was the only one in the place; everyone else was drinking tea.

OK, don't panic, it wasn't that big, but my Dim Sum dinner was delicious and enjoyable.

Incidentally, here's something you don't know:  There are only five recognized cuisines in the world:

  • Chinese
  • Mexican
  • Byzantine
  • Franco-Italian, and
  • Indian
Every other flows from these.  So there, now you have one more bizarre tidbit to throw out at your next soirée.

No comments:

Post a Comment