Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Where's mine?

Just wondering why I haven't been handed my $25,000?  That's what every Indigenous now-grown-up person has been given because they were part of what's been dubbed "The Sixties Scoop".  These were kids who were taken from their native parents because of neglect, squalor or abuse and raised by adoptive and foster parents off-reserve.  

Make no mistake.  Taking kids away from their parents is not done lightly because it's very expensive and we all know how reluctant governments are to fork over money -- unless it's to themselves and their cronies.  Hello Justin Trudeau!  But I digress.

I was part of the post-war "Forties Scoop", a result of which many illegitimate children were taken from their teenaged, unmarried mothers and given up for adoption.  That was me and thank G-d I was.  Raised by the most wonderful parents, I grew up within a large and loving extended family.  But, hey, I was still "scooped" and taken away from my birth family -- both maternal and paternal.

Should I form a support group, launch a class action suit and demand money?  Of course not, but that's what lawyers have convinced these natives to do.  So they did.  I am so sick of it all.  

Now these people are meeting and mapping out their birth family origins.  I did this on my own in the pre-internet era, when I had to scour city directories and libraries to find my people.  I was successful, but don't plan on suing the government -- the same government that found me a loving home with loving parents, aunts, uncles and parents.  Why would I?

Here are a couple of women who are part of this group:


Here's the money they got:

As I said, I'm still waiting for mine.  Will it ever be enough for these natives?  Rhetorical.

      


  

No comments:

Post a Comment