Search This Blog

Monday, April 17, 2023

Not really family

Since I discovered an entirely, new paternal birth family, back in January, I have discovered again what I discovered 45 years ago, when I uncovered my maternal birth family:

They're not really your family -- genetically, yes, but otherwise no.

First contacted by a half-sister, thanks to '23 and Me', I was over-joyed to finally know who my birth father was (I blogged it, see "My Father was a US Marine", Jan. 5, 2023), but it seems most of my siblings don't share my enthusiasm.  Here we are:

Nancy Patricia -- me, the illegitimate eldest, then all the legit ones:

Mary Frances (changed her given name to "France") -- no contact and just blocked me on facebook (nice touch) 

William Patrick -- no contact, but his kids are in touch (good for them)

Margaret Mary -- no contact

Theodore Michael -- deceased

Eleanor Mary -- initial contact, but now faded and doesn't respond

Nora Mary -- recognition on fb now and then (much appreciated)

Maureen Mary -- lots of contact, via email and phone calls (she's a peach)

Funny, all the sisters have the same middle name, save one.  Maureen and I are the bookends of the brood, me the eldest and she the youngest.  Anyway, I remain grateful, but not bitter by any means.  As I say, they are my birth family, but not my real one.  Anyway......




No comments:

Post a Comment