Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Now, that's hockey

Tiger Williams' nose still looks like it was flattened by a steam roller, Lanny McDonald's moustache is now grey, Bryan Trottier is still crazy, and Mark Napier is as gorgeous as ever. Enjoyed these stars and many other old-time NHL-ers this morning at a fabulous charity game here in Olympic Park in support of alzheimer's.

And who was also there, front and centre? None other than "Mr. Hockey" himself, Gordie Howe! What a great guy. When I read about this event, I knew we absolutely had to go. And it did not disappoint.

The first big thrill upon walking through the arena doors was the Stanley Cup sitting there for all to touch and admire. Thank God I had grabbed the camera on the way out the door. Both B and I had our pictures taken beside it. Its handler was never far, but I was nonetheless amazed at how accessible it was. Fans were able to get right up to it; we were no exception.

Taking our seats, I spied Gordie across the ice and walked all around the arena to get close to him. Stood right behind him, but the glass separated us. Hopeful, I pounded on it, trying to get "Mr. Elbows" to turn and look at me. No luck, but I did get a great profile shot of him and will post it soon. Theo Fleury was playing, Sheldon Kennedy, Curtis Joseph, Jamie Macoun, Marty McSorley, Gary Roberts...big, big names from the days when I actually knew and watched hockey. And skate! Man, these guys can still fly! Absolutely beautiful to watch such talent having such a great time -- without checking, just great hockey.

It was boundless entertainment and so Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment