Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A little harsh

Maybe saying that so many people I know were boring was a little harsh.  What I meant was so often I have to do all the work in social settings.  I mean, let's face it.  Conversation is work.  Sadly, too few people are willing to do it.  Can't tell you how many parties I have been to where people sit like bumps on logs -- the worst social sin one could commit in my late mother's world. 

"Don't sit there like a bump on a log," she used to admonish under her breath with a beaming smile.  "Speak to a person."  It was an ironclad rule in our house.  And shy?  That was simply another word for "rude" and she would not tolerate it.  I am very grateful for all she taught me about socializing because it has saved my sorry ass on more than one occasion.  Funnily, four topics were taboo:  money, religion, sex and politics.  Try filling an evening without those cushions, but that was how it was.  Actually, makes life so much easier if you don't know how much money someone has, or what their religion is.    

Actually, I like many people -- most folks I know, in fact.  Love most people at the pool, most at our parish and all of my facebook "friends"; any I didn't have been "unfriended".  So, didn't mean to come off as arrogant and if I did, forgive me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment