Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Food source secured

Scholars say that until a food source is secured, no society can progress.  Well, trust me, a food source has been secured at the House of Dior.  Just watched a documentary on Netflix about bringing out a collection by Dior and I was appalled by the ludicrousness of it all.  Here were hundreds and hundreds of people working all hours under incredible stress to make....dresses.

Really?!  All so unimportant.  I know this sounds bizarre coming from a woman who writes a blog entitled, 'The View From Hats and Heels', but this level of fuss and mega bucks over clothes is absurd and preposterous.  It was pathetic how everyone in the film thought every stitch was almost a religious experience.  Actually, scratch "almost".  It was a religion for these misguided souls. 

I like to look good as much as the next gal, but taking it to this level of worship is sad.  I mean, I can get as big a bang out of an outfit with a $7 pair of earrings from Shoppers.  Trust me, I can pull it off. 

The "big night", when the collection was debuted, was ridiculous.  I now put Sharon Stone in the same who-cares class as Anna Wintour.  They are both worshipping the wrong gods.  Fashion is run by hucksters and carneys, a cult into which women buy.  (And by the way, Donatella Versace's lips now resemble those old rubber tires we used to raft on as kids.  Ridiculous!)

Women haven't come "a long way baby".  Not by a long shot.  Witness this Birks ad running in The Globe and Mail, no less.  The advertising director -- must be a man -- needs to give his head a shake for thinking this a good idea:


Never mind getting a university degree, never mind starting an independent career, never mind being self-sufficient.  No.  Let's just get that ring on our finger!  What a sad state of affairs and what a demeaning, shocking and insulting comment in 2015 to those of us who have supported ourselves FOREVER.  It is a disgusting slur and an affront to women everywhere.  Sadly, Birks has no idea what its ad communicates.  None.  

Don't ever shop at Birks again. 
   

1 comment:

  1. Agree with you about Dior, Versace, and all the other
    pathetic designers. In Italy a place I feel is a second home - I always notice how everyone not matter how low their income has to have something "designer" -they would go without food in order to have at least a designer wallet - I kid you not!!!!!!When the father of my children proposed I said "YES" AND I DON'T WANT AN ENGAGEMENT RING - (I knew he had worked up in the Arctic for 2yrs in order to have enough money to go through Law School - did I need a ring - NO. the only one of my group of girl friends who did not have an engagement ring and was so proud of it. My mother had tons of diamond rings, pins, watches, and I could have cared less.

    ReplyDelete