Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2017

This is the question

In good faith, thought I'd watch a CNN feature about the legacy of Michelle Obama.  A fan of neither Obama nor his wife, I nonetheless gave her the benefit of the doubt and tuned in.  Sadly, with all her talk about being an authentic black woman, she obviously spends countless hours and lots of money wrestling  her hair into white-woman straight?

Why?

It's definitely not authentic.  I came to the conclusion when I was 45 that it was ridiculous of me to keep dying my greying hair brown.  So I stopped.  I think Angela Davis and her afro were more "real" than Michelle Obama's Caucasian hairdo.  In my world, hair tells me immediately everything I need to know about anyone I meet.  A comb-over?  Insecure.  Dyed blonde?  Dyed blonde.  Anything dyed after a certain age?  Fear of growing gracefully old into oneself.  Long hair after 35?  A ridiculous obsession with trying to look younger. 

Our hair is our outward projection to the world.  We need to be mindful about what it reveals.   

No comments:

Post a Comment