Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

So, these are the facts

Well, well, well, another green myth busted.  Apparently, it takes 26 times more resources to produce those plastic re-useable grocery bags than it does the single-use plastic variety that we've all been told to eschew, lest we be evil polluters and world destroyers. 

And here's the kicker:  Those cotton totes that the "real" enviros carry in a show-offy display of super-greenness?  Those use a whopping.....wait for it.....300 times more resources than the lowly single-use "junk" ones!  Cotton is the worst because it uses so much water and transportation resources to produce.  Who knew?

All this I heard from a waste-management expert and environmental scientist, whose company sorts and recycles refuse in Toronto, on a CBC interview this morning.  I had no idea, as I skulk around the cash in the local grocery store being looked at in disdain, that I am actually "greener" than they!

Now, instead of slinking in shame to my car, I will proudly inform the Birkenstock-ers looking down their noses at me, that their totes are 300 times more damaging to the environment than the ones I am filling up.

Sometimes schleppers such as I get a break.    

No comments:

Post a Comment