Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Deaf and blind

"What fresh hell is this," said the famous writer Dorothy Parker when she encountered something that displeased her.  That's what I said all day, listening to Carolyn Bennett announcing yet more millions for natives, this round for those who attended day school on the reserves, under their parents care and control.  For those who say they were "abused" -- that would be everyone -- handouts will be from $10,000 to $200,000 per student. 

OMG!  I guess all 120,000 ex-students will ramp up to the $200,000 category.  "I hope this will be the beginning of the healing process for these victims," said the naïve and delusional Bennett.  When has more money every healed any native?  Never.  So that's more of your money down the drain -- in addition to the $6 billion paid residential school "survivors"!  One woman interviewed talked about being rapped on the knuckles by her teacher.  Hey, just ask B about knuckle-rapping and head slapping when he got a Latin verb conjugation wrong in the Catholic private boys' school he attended!  It was relentless, but he learned the language.  In fact, he is the only person I know who can actually speak the language. 

The same woman also talked about her happy, carefree childhood before she had to go to school to be "ruined".  You know, I remember being happy and carefree before school myself.  Without an education, where would natives be?  All the successful ones I know were educated in roughly the same system as I.  It's all so bizarre, self-fulfilling and perpeptuating -- basically mob mentality to hate and blame the white man. 

And the dining out on the tragicTina Fontaine continued unabated, with the always reliably-outraged Cindy Blackstock.  The executive director of the native child and caring family society, the tone-deaf and blind-to-reality Ms. Blackstock is, I am sure, thankful for her well-paying job and a pulpit from which to damn every "white" agency she can. 

Yesterday, Don Martin had her on and it was the same-old-same-old.  Everyone failed Tina........but I've gone on about this charade before.  Christie Blatchford had a good column in The Globe about how Fontaine's mother was a ward herself and had a kid at 14 and another at 17 with a man in his twenties, who was later killed in a drunken brawl when she was 11.  If the mother was so damaged and ill-equipped, why did she push to have Tina back with her?  Why did she not supervise her on the night she died?   

Also read today about another native, Adam Capay, who was released without trial after four years in prison because of delays.  I remember watching it on TV and his whole family was rejoicing and damning the "system", as they left court with him, a free man.  What did I read today?  Capay has been arrested again and charged with sexual assault and destruction of property.  The system failed him again, natives claim, because there were no substance-abuse program on the reserve where he lived.  Ah yes, of course.  Poor Adam bears no responsibility once again.
__________________________________________

On another note, I now realize I may have killed people.  Watched a disturbing documentary about DuPont and Teflon, which talked about how those involved in the production of Teflon gave birth to babies with defects.  It also talked about all the adults who produced the product who died prematurely from leukemia, kidney and liver disease and other ailments linked to the product. 

One of the best jobs I had was working for DuPont of Canada in the early seventies in Toronto.  One of my products was Teflon and I was paid handsomely to promote it.  I remember hush-hush meetings back then about accusations of the harm its production was doing, but nothing stuck.  In fact, the documentary I watched said that the truth was only uncovered in the early 2,000's.  I have to say I felt very weird thinking about how we all ignored the whispers because we made good money and wanted to keep our jobs.  Very weird.   


No comments:

Post a Comment