Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Good news on the native file!

I was delighted to read that an Indigenous man, Dr. Alika Lafontaine, has been named head of the Canadian Medical Association.  Told by teachers as a child he was developmentally-delayed, Dr. Alika nevertheless persevered and succeeded.  "I was told there was just no hope for me," he told an interviewer.  "But those experiences helped me appreciate the things around us that need a little bit of help."

Born and raised in Regina by parents who valued education above all, Dr. Lafontaine believes that, "As someone who comes from a background where I know what it feels like to not have a voice, I can reach out in a different way.  I can feel what people are feeling in a way that doesn't burden the person who's experiencing the pain as much," he added.  This is a good news story.  Now let's just hope he doesn't get all preachy about all-things-Indigenous and just sticks to the knitting.  


Another success story is Michelle O'Bonsawin, recently appointed as the first native justice on the Supreme Court of Canada.  A Franco-Ontarian, she hails from Sudbury, went to Osgoode Hall and has a Masters in Law, among her many other accomplishments -- like being a professor.  Very impressive.    

The thing that troubles me is that such appointments are so rare they have to be uniquely celebrated.  Hopefully, as more natives take up more senior positions in this country, a smaller fuss will be made.  All I can say is, cheers to getting an education -- the residential school variety or not.  
       


No comments:

Post a Comment