Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Women. Again.



So, Lisa LaFlamme has been dumped from CTV after many slogging-it-out years.  Wanting to know who was behind it, I googled the Bell Media org chart and learned it was someone named Karine Moses, senior VP, content development and news.  And who is Karine Moses?  She is a dyed blonde with several degrees.  You know my take on dyed blondes, so I needn't elaborate.  But obviously, it was personal because when you come right down to it, isn't everything?

The journalist in me never relies on public "statements" put out by either side; I always want to know who's behind any move like this -- dumb or otherwise.  But what didn't work at all was the one issued by Moses:

"Ms. LaFlamme demonstrates an unfailing commitment to delivering the stories that matter most to Canadians as part of Canada’s leading news team.  Lisa has deftly guided viewers through both turbulent times and celebrations.  We wish her nothing but the best as she begins a new chapter.” 

Huh?!  What "new chapter" was LaFlamme beginning?  According to her, nothing.  She was a stunned as the rest of us.  And Moses used the present tense for "demonstrates", so with a glowing, current review like this, why did Moses unceremoniously dump her?  As I said, it's gotta be personal.  Women can't help themselves and that's too bad -- especially since LaFlamme was named top Canadian national news broadcaster not long ago for CTV.  Had I been writing Moses' statement, I would have stuck to a corporate line about "moving in a new direction.....renewing a mandate.....changing directions.....new audiences....blah, blah, blah."  I would not have sung the praises that highly for someone I had just canned because that just begs the question, why'd ya dump her?

Frankly, I'm starting to realize what a misogynist I can be, given the right situation.  What do I always say?  Women are their own worst enemies.   




No comments:

Post a Comment