Search This Blog

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Every point







These four players can remember every point in every game they ever played against each other over decades.  It's amazing.

Watching a series of interviews, hosted by Mats Wilander, with John McEnroe, Boris Becker and Ivan Lendl (above) during which they discuss playing each other "back in the day" with uncanny precision.  

"I was down five two in the second set in Australia in 1980," says one to another, perfectly conjuring up an exact point in a game, "when I knew I had the match."  They all go on with hilarity about how they won, or lost, various matches in various tournaments twenty or thirty years ago.

"You hit a serve that caught the line and I nailed a backhand down-the-line to win that point," says another, laughing.  How can they remember so many points in so many matches from the past?!

If you love tennis and yearn for the days when players actually enjoyed playing and had fun doing it, tune in.  It's on either YouTube, or Netflix, I forget which.

(By the way, my favourite of all time was Stephan Edberg -- the maestro of the serve-and-volley.)


No comments:

Post a Comment