Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2013

How does he know that?

B, usually stuck into a foreign affairs journal or a history book, amazed me when he said, "Doug Williams".  I was watching the pre-super bowl hype and there was a feature about the first black QB to start in the super bowl 25 years ago.

"Oh yeah, Doug Williams," said B from the shower, not even having heard the program.  How does he know stuff like that and retain it?!  This is what I love about super bowl -- all the past greats they interview, the replays of glory days, the hall-of-famers.........that's the good stuff. 

I have no idea who's in the super bowl and don't care who wins, but I love the US hype.  And it's being held in New Orleans, a beautiful city I have visited twice to stay with our good friends, Betty and Jimmy Noe (Jimmy now gone, lovely, lovely man). 

An aside:  One of Betty's sons did extensive research on their unusual sir name.  He concluded it was German.  Knowing their French 'Cajun' background, I said, "I bet your name is French, as in 'Nault', which is pronounced 'Noe'."  They were astounded.  One tiny benefit of being a bilingual Canadian.

The doyene and grande dame of New Orleans, Betty took me to the annual "Mad Hatters Lunch".  Sitting at her table, she held court as all the women paid homage.  After introducing me to one woman, she said, "Nancy, that woman I just introduced you to....a killer bitch from Hell."  I nearly died laughing because she said it with the most beatific, broad smile on her face.

Another classic:  I caught her in her bedroom talking to an open drawer.  "What the h-ll are you doing, Betty?" I asked.  "I'm talking to Jimmy's hearing aids, maybe then he'll listen to me!"  The woman is an original.

Think I'll give her a call.       

        

No comments:

Post a Comment