Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A lot of hoopla

I find it weird that the airwaves are full of the news about the electing of the next Pope.  Maybe that's because I am a convert and don't pay much attention to Rome.  But man, everyone else does. 

There are more than 1 billion Catholics worldwide, so perhaps it's a numbers game.  Why else would Peter Mansbridge be in Rome for two weeks covering the event, other than to have a nice European time?  Anderson Cooper from CNN is there too!

As I type, yet another radio program is interviewing this expert and that about who the next Pope will be.  Amusingly, the only people touting Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellette are the Canadians.  He has a few strikes against him -- such as the fact that you'd be hard-pressed to find a practicing Catholic in Quebec these days.  Oh yeah, that and the fact that his brother is a convicted pedophile.  Paul Ouellette started abusing a young girl when she was eight and continued to do so until she was 18 and reported him.  Oops!

I guess not many people know that little tidbit, which shouldn't necessarily relfect on Marc, but the face that he has refused to speak of it -- not even to condemn it -- I find disturbing.  Good luck getting elected Pontiff.  If it's about numbers, the African candidate will take it; there are more converts there than anywhere else. 

As I said, I concern myself with my own parish.  Rome is all politics. 

1 comment:

  1. The Universe is all about Politics. Including the useless United Nations. Did Jesus Christ
    not say to Peter - Thou art Peter and upon this Rock thou shalt build my Church??
    That Church was where?

    ReplyDelete