Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Two heads and Canadian culture

"Bob and Doug McKenzie and The Group of Seven."  That was my retort to a pretentious guy I met at a dinner party years ago who was waxing pompously on about "Canadian culture".  He cited the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and a couple of orchestras.

"That's not Canadian culture, lots of countries have ballets and orchestras," I said.  "Canadian culture consists of Bob and Doug McKenzie and The Group of Seven.  Period, the end."  He was not amused at having been brought up short.  But to that reverential list, I would now add Stompin' Tom Connors -- as "Canadian" as it gets.  No one but a Canadian would "get" Stompin' Tom.  He's like every guy you ever met in any town in any tavern, hockey arena or Tim Horton's in Canada.  Tom, with his nasal twang and corny tunes, would never have made it anywhere other than Canada.   

The "two heads" part of this blog refers to a black-tie dinner we attended last evening.  I decided to dress around the black-and-white patent leather heels B had bought me in Houston, so I was in black and white (obviously).  To jazz things up, I decided to wear every strand of faux and real pearls I owned in a multi-clustered choker around my neck.  I am not a "pearl" girl, but I have to say, the effect of 15 cascading strands was spectacular.

Just to top it off, I pulled out my evening gloves -- an item no one wears any longer except moi.  I have to admit, even I pause now and then when considering to don the long, formal gloves, but I did last night.  And what did I also do?  Wore one white glove and one black.  Well, you'd have thought I'd had two heads!  People stopped dead in their tracks and oohed and ahhed all over them.  (I have to admit, I copied the late Diana, who once wore a fabulous red-and-black gown, topped off with one red and one black glove.  I thought it was fashion genius, so I emulated.)

Tonight we have another formal dinner in Airdrie and I plan to wear a hot pink, Shepherd's jacket over black, accessorized with my "Angelina Jolie" beryl earrings and green shoes.  I think it will work, but be a bit much for Calgary -- the city in which I am always over-dressed, but who cares! 

So folks, hitherto my helter-skelter thoughts of today. 

       



6 comments:

  1. I'm sure you shall look superb as always - and it is NOT AS IF YOU DON'T know it!!
    Take pictures for us to see.
    In the meantime please give some thought on the upcoming Conclave. I thought you would have many opinions on this one being such a devoted Roman Catholic an all!!!! I look forward to more-I predict we shall have a new Pope by March 17th - St. Patrick's Day and I think I can predict two who might win.
    What say you dear wise one!!!B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have mentioned that I really don't give a damn about who is Pope. It's all politics. I stay focussed on my parish. As to Marc Ouellette's chances? The fact that his brother is a pedophile, coupled with the reality that there are no Catholics in Quebec, pretty much dash his hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Guess whose dinner party the pompous guy was at? Yep, P.O'K's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not as DISTINCTLY Canadian as Stompin' Tom but of that ilk, might be Don Harron (Charlie Farquarson), Gordie Tapp, Tommy Hunter and Our Pet, Juliette.

    Having lived in Ottawa, the home of Big Joe Mufferaw and Tillsonburg (my back still aches when I hear that word) I was saddened to learn of Stompin' Tom's passing.

    On a different note, I like the sound of your fashion sense. Perhaps you should consider joining your friends and followers down here, south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Something tells me you'd make a divine Southern Belle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my dearest friends is the doyenne of New Orleans. Now in her dotage, she took me in her hayday to "The Mad Hatter's Luncheon", where 200 belles paid her homage before they took their own seats. After introducing me to one, she said: "Nancy, see that woman I just introduced you to?" Yes, I replied, she seemed very nice. "A killa bitch from Hell," she said, with a beatific smile on her face. I love the woman.

      Yes, you are right about the other "Canadian" icons. I might add Rawhide (Max Ferguson)and if you are an Ottawan, the great Hughie Scott. When I was in university, we used to go regularly to the Chamberlain Hotel in Alymer, where Ma Chamberlain held court. Hughie played there regularly until it burnt to the ground. Then he switched to The British Hotel. Were you around then? Great days. By the way, Hughie is still playing somewhere in The Valley.

      Delete
  5. Born in Scotland, my folks moved us to Timmins when I was a year old. My dad left the gold mine to take a lower-paying job with a future at (the former) Printing Bureau in (the former) Hull.

    Not pregnant, he was offered a promotion to DNR (RevCan?) - Customs & Excise and we moved to Toronto when I was 16. So no, I never became familiar with local watering holes. BTW, the British Hotel has a FB page, though the hotel closed 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete