Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013

Back to the fashion future

Flowered jeans and pants are now all the rage.  I made two pairs 30 years ago -- one for myself and another for step-daughter, Sarah.  I loved mine and thought Sarah loved hers, but after wearing them once to school and back to her mother's house, never saw them again.  I asked where they were and could she bring them back so I could hand them down to Susanne, but her answers were evasive.  Either someone at school laughed at her elevated sense of fashion, or her mother crapped on them. 

Unfortunately, our kids went to a very snooty Rockcliffe elementary school in Ottawa.  It was filled with diplomats' offspring, politicians' kids -- including all the Trudeau boys -- and the brats of the greats and near-greats.  We didn't live in the immediate area, but being in immersion, that was where our kids had to go.

"Your daughter and her friends are bullying my stepdaughter and it better stop," I had to say to more than one Rockcliffe matron.  It always worked, so all the fuss about bullying today mystifies me?  Why don't parents just pick up the phone and call the other parents?  "Your son and mine seem to bring out the worst in each other," was another conversation I had to have more than once.  This also worked because it blamed my kid as much as the other. 

But back to the flowered pants.  I have never followed fashion, but rather dressed in my own style.  This was because I didn't have enough money to buy the latest this-and-that, so did things my distinctive way.  The other deal was, if I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the first three stores into which I ventured, I made it.  Never compromised the look I was going for by buying "something close".  The trick with sewing is to keep it simple -- no buttons, button holes, pockets, zippers or collars.  Just go for elastic waists and bias-tape necklines -- even if the pattern calls for waistbands and facing.  Forget about that.  To keep seams simple, use pinking shears and stay-stitch the edges.  For hemming the length, always machine-sew tape first, iron and quickly finish by hand.  See how laziness and stealth can work in your favour?   

Unfortunately over the years, I outgrew my beautiful pants, when I went from almost-anorexic to normal.  But I still love the look.  Think I may hit the fabric store and make a couple more.  Afterall, summer's a'comin!!


No comments:

Post a Comment